How to add an event recap "gallery" post
- Past events only (upcoming events RSVP pages are created in Wild Apricot not applicable to this process)
- An event recap blog post is created after each event in the “inside our events” category.
- For regular monthly networking events duplicate the event recap template
- For special events with a charity, video, and big sponsors duplicate the 2nd annual golf post
- The Event Gallery is a category archive page listing posts. The list is automatically updated each time a post is published to the “inside our events” category.
- Images must be sized down before uploading or the page load time will be slow and it can break the site when uploading to the media library due to the slow server.
Steps at a glance:
- Prep images to web quality guidelines (see below or slow page load time will be an issue)
- Duplicate “event recap template”, edit and publish new post (do not edit the template itself)
Event Photo Guidelines (web quality)
- Page header image: 1200x500px
- Photo Gallery: Limit up to 40 images per post.
- Images sized down to 500-900 pixels wide, files optimized to 70kb – 110kb max each
- One horizontal event image will be set as a “featured image” on the post
Consider that one gallery at 70kb size will be 2.8MB of images loading on the page. Less images with small file sizes are better for page load time and SEO.
Images can be bulk resized using this free site: https://bulkresizephotos.com/en
Example: Original images are 6,000 pixels wide (over 10MB each). Using 15% in the resizing tool they size down to 900 pixels wide (only 67KB each). Or set the width to 900 pixels wide and the image quality 50%.
- Required: Event photos sized down to web guidelines (name files using event title e.g. “August 2021 event_1)
- Optional: Header image cropped and sized
- Post title = event name i.e. “August 2021 CVCAN Networking Dinner” or “2nd Annual Golf Tournament”
- Paragraph about the event. Repurpose copy from the event RSVP page using past tense.
- Gather URLS to sponsors and organize sponsor photos if applicable
- Gather URL to charity, photo and paragraph of copy if applicable
TIP Body images turn square (not images in gallery): Media sized images display square with white space top bottom if image if the image ratio is not square. Prep image prior to uploading to the desired ratio/size for display and then select “full size” when inserting images to the body to get around images turning square.
Before getting started, upload event images to the media library. This can also be done inside the post yet may slow the site resulting in server error.
- Go to posts > drafts>”event recap template”
- Duplicate the template and edit the new draft. (Do not edit or publish the template.)
- Edit post content / image gallery and delete sections that aren’t relevant.
- Set a horizontal event photo to the “featured image” field. (thumbnail that displays on event gallery page and Facebook. It does not display on the post.)
- Optionally: Add a header photo inserted to the body to display top of post. (1200x500px set to full size)
- Date the post on or around the event date and publish it.
- DONE! Copy the public URL (not the preview) and send out for promotions.
The event gallery page automatically updates with new posts using the “inside our events” category.
Step 1-2 Duplicate Post Template
Step 3-6 Edit Duplicate Draft and Replace Photos
Tip: Select “full size” when inserting images to the body to get around images turning square.
Gallery settings guide:
4 columns, large size, link to media file (this opens a modal popup of the image with arrows to view other images)
Alternatively use 3 columns when there are few images.
Limit each gallery to about 32-40 images or 8-10 rows/4 columns. 24-32 images are recommended.
Limit galleries to 2 galleries (max 40 images), sponsors and top photos from the event. Top 24 event images and 4-8 sponsor images in separate galleries is recommended. 2nd annual golf post is a good example.
THIS PAGE IS FOR INTERNAL USE
Prepared by Melonie Gallegos